Subject: as smell of incense fills the room

Reply New Subject All Subjects Search

Subject: as smell of incense fills the room Date: 04-15-2005
Author: marc Reply
Heard this song some time ago and what I can remember is the main "chorus" line that sang like
"as the smell of incense fills the room ????"
It was a rock song with a sort of retro 60s or 70's psychedlic feel but can't be sure if it really was an old song or newer. If I heard the artist or band name I would know because it was uncommon sounding and long but I just cant bring it back to mind.
If someone knows what I'm talkin about please reply as I am very curious to know who this act was. Thanks.

Subject: RE: as smell of incense fills the room Date: 04-15-2005
Author: Dan Reply

Smell Of Incense- Southwest F.O.B

Year: 1968

hip records

Click to hear

...can i be so bold as to ask you what's growing in your flower pot,
and the smell of incense fills the room

CD with sound clips to every song...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DAMG/qid%3D1113590302/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-7245614-2188727

Editorial Reviews

Album Description

Reissue of psych/ pop album, featuring the minor hit single 'Smell Of Incense'. The band included Dan Seals & John Coley. This Sundazed release contains the entire rare 1968 album, single-only cuts, and unheard alternate versions...plus a 16-page booklet jammed with notes, unseen photos, original poster repros and more!

CD...

http://www.sundazed.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=SC+11060

Dan

Author: Vic Ferri Reply
I have the original which was by Bob Marley and the "The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band"

vic

Vic,

Check this out "Canadian Charts October 1968 (Look for highlighted text)

Click here

I ran across this link while searching for lyrics to this song.

Dan

From Vic's Link...

The group seems to be reduced to a trio of Bob Markley and the Harris' brothers.
Although not credited Ron Morgan played the distinctive Lead guitar. Again, either Hal Blaine or Jimmy Gordon played the drums.

Michael Lloyd has left to initiate other projects, and Bob Markley, the former tambourine player, was now firmly in command although he wasn't a musician himself.

In The Arena. (Markley-Harris) 4:10
Suppose They Give A War And No One Comes. (Markley-Bryant) 3:38
Buddha. (Markley-Harris) 2:05
Smell Of Incense. (Markley-Morgan) 5:47
Overture / Wcpaeb Part II. (Markley-Harris) 1:28

Queen Nymphet. (Markley-Harris) 2:19
Unfree Child. (Markley-Harris) 3:58
Carte Blanche. (Markley-Harris) 2:42
Delicate Fawn. (Markley-Harris) 2:30
Tracy Had A Hard Day Sunday. (Markley-Harris) 4:35

Notes:
The Mono versions of the above feature strikingly different mixes and are essential listening for those interested in such things. Also, a noticeably different stereo mix of "Volume Two" turned up on a mid-'80's European reissue.
A bands second single was released: 'Smell Of Incense' (edited version) b/w 'Unfree Child' (Reprise 0776, 1968), again without much success. The same song was covered by a Dallas outfit called 'Southwest F.O.B.' and released as a single reaching nr.56 in the Billboard chart in 1968. It was also the title track of their only album (Smell Of Incense, Hip HLS 7001, 1968).

Other bands that covered 'Smell Of Incense' includes The Abstracts (1968), The Pawnbrokers (1968) and 90s Norwegian folk-psychers "Smell Of Incense".

The CD version (Sundazed SC 6174, issued in 2001) contains two bonus tracks:
- Unfree Child (single mix)
- Smell Of Incense (single mix)

Note from Dan: I see that there were 3 cover versions of "Smell of Incense" around 1968. So if you include the original, there were 4 versions floating around!

Smell Of Incense - The Abstracts (1968)

Smell Of Incense- Southwest F.O.B
Canada (1968)
USA (1969)

Smell Of Incense - The Pawnbrokers (1968)

According to my Joel Whitburn book, the only listing is Smell of Incense by Southwest F.O.B (1969). It appears to me that this was the most popular version in the United States. The Canadian Charts support the popularity of this version.

Amazingly, Both the F.O.B. and the West Coast Pop versions are on Limewire.

Dan

Ya I have all the charts. Southwest F.O.B are the ones who are more known for the song but again it was a cover of Bob Marley's song with West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Bob Marley was NOT in the Soutwest FOB band.

vic

Vic,

I had no idea the there were so many versions and I did not know that F.O.B was not the original band. It's so cool that you know all the details.

Dan

No not cool, just old.
LOL

Author: marc Reply
Thanks people! That is the song and holy - everything you wanted to know about the song but forgot to ask , haha
I knew I would remember the long name it was West Coast Pop Experimental Band that I remembered the DJ saying.
Many thanks again!

Subject: RE: as smell of incense fills the room Date: 06-09-2006
Author: Robert Reply
see www.creativeartisticliving.com/wcpaeb

my Brother wrote song originaly

More To Explore