Subject: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria?

Reply New Subject All Subjects Search

Subject: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-10-2004
Author: flyguy11199 Reply
It's from the 60's G-L-O-R-I-A GLORIA. It's NOT The Doors. They did a REMAKE of it. The song was out long before they remade it. Anyone know who the ORIGINAL artist was? I'm stumped! Thanks!.

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-10-2004
Author: Ed Reply
The song was written by Van Morrison who first released it with his group "Them". The most popular version, however, was recorded by The Shadows of Knight in 1966..

Subject: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-10-2004
Author: flyguy11199 Reply
It's from the 60's G-L-O-R-I-A GLORIA. It's NOT The Doors. They did a REMAKE of it. The song was out long before they remade it. Anyone know who the ORIGINAL artist was? I'm stumped! Thanks!.

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-10-2004
Author: pete Reply
Ask the question as many times as you like, flyguy - but Ed gave you the right answer. ;o) The answer is still the Irish '60s band 'Them', and it was first released around about 1965. The Shadows of Knight version came out about a year later, and The Doors version later still. And Patti Smith even later....

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-11-2004
Author: Keith S Reply
You're maybe thinking of the old Doo-wop anthem ..Cadillacs did it first,I think-then just about all groups had it in their repertoire...

Author: Ed Reply
That's a different song, Keith. They don't spell G-l-o-r-i-a. You're right about the Cadillacs. It was also done by the Passions, Vito and the Salutations, and the Channels among others. Doo Wop 50 features a Gloria Medley by all the above groups .

Author: NullUserName Reply
Pete, I have the feeling that both the questions were posted at the same time, but that Ed just replied to the first one, resulting in it showing up on the thread before the second Flyguy post.

...Or maybe not. :)

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-29-2004
Author: peterann Reply
Does anybody know anything about the original members of the The Shadows of Knight? Apparently, there was a member that was kicked out and he went off to Viet Nam. Who was this guy? I'm asking because I have run into someone that claims to be that band member. .

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-29-2004
Author: Captain Calamity Reply
It's not Les Fradkin, is it? ;o).

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 06-30-2004
Is that you ;) ? Or someone claiming the same thing? Anyway, this guy I'm talking about is the right age, from Chicago and is now a burned out country radio jock. Last I heard he was calling himself Chuck Britian in Florida, but has moved on to Arkansas or some place..

There's apparently a DJ called Chuck Britton who worked at WLS in Chicago in the 70s. Shadows of Knight were also from Chicago, so maybe there was some connection. But the authoritative 'Fuzz Acid and Flowers' lists no less than 17 musicians who were at one time members of Shadows of Knight, and poor Chuck doesn't rate a mention..

Oh and I don't think Captain Calamity is Les Fradkin. I think he's just referring to the thread we had on Edison Lighthouse a while back!.

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-05-2004
Chuck Britian is his radio name. If there's an old Chicago DJ with that name that's probably where he snagged it from.

I guess I have a project now. I'm going to have to track down a friend that worked with this guy at our local country station.

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-05-2004
There's a small photo of Chuck Britton at this address:-

http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS80/

Scroll down to 'WLS Jocks of the 80s'.

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-06-2004
That was slow loading, I saw the pic before the names came up and I said, "that looks a little like Chuck." I've been spelling his name wrong. I bumped into a friend last night. Her son in law worked with Chuck at one of our country stations. She called and her son in law wasn't home, but her daughter can't remember is his real name. She said she *should* because it would show up on their caller id when he called them.

Pete, YOU are the absolute BEST! (hmm, Pete Best?)

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-06-2004
No problem.

BTW, these guys have all been members of Shadows of Knight at some stage. (Maybe one of them is the real Chuck!)

NORM GOTSCH;
WAYNE PURSELL;
WARREN RODGERS;
TOM SCHIFFOUR;
JIM SOHNS;
JOE KELLEY;
JERRY McGEORGE;
DAVE WOLINSKI;
DAN BAUGHMAN;
JOHN FISHER;
KENNY TURKIN;
WOODY WOODROFF;
ERIC BLOMQUIST;
JACK DANIELS;
BOB HARPER;
CHARLIE HESS;
GARY LEVIN

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-09-2004
Do you find it odd that my Chuck worked for WLS and there are suggestions that WLS hired Shadows of Knight to rerecord Gloria? But he worked for them *after* the band, I'm thinking anyway.

I've got to follow up with my friend, this is driving me nuts :) or nuttier anyway.

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-09-2004
Hey Pete, not to continue beating a dead horse or anything, but I was told tonight that Chuck Britton's real name is Randy Johnson, which isn't on your list.

All I can think of is that's maybe a mistake. The new program director of the station here where he worked is going to see if he can find an email address. By golly, I'm going to email him and ask him flat out!

That'll put an end to this nonsense.

Again, you've been great! Next time I need a music question answered I know where to find you ;)

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 07-11-2004
If you want to read more about Shadows of Knight, check out the 'Fuzz Acid and Flowers' website. And no, there's no mention of Randy!

http://www.soybomb.com/BorderlineBooks/us6070s/s4.html#The Shadows of Knight

Subject: RE: Who did the song G-l-o-r-i-a Gloria? Date: 08-26-2004
Author: Ray P Reply
Lead Vocal Jim Sohns. Base, Wayne Pursell, Lead Guitar Warren Rogers, Norm Gotsch, Rhythm, And the guy Tom Schiffour drummer. Group underwent many changes. Formed in 1964 only lead singer left by 1969. Sohns still performs today with "other" members..

Page:
123Next>>