Subject: Never met a girl like you before?

Reply New Subject All Subjects Search

Subject: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 04-13-2006
Author: brian Reply
So my music store friend comes over the other day all big and bad with his classic rock trivia and knowlege and cd book, and he copies an iggy pop cd to my computer

Fran, I say,..."Never met a girl like you" is a song by some one hit wonder guy Edwyin Collins...not iggy pop. I know this because Im a one hit wonder fanatic. I may not know the other 95% of everything about music, but I know that.

Im the kind of guy who's always wrong no matter what, so I looked up empire records on imdb and there it was: written and performed by edwyn collins. Then I googled "never met a girl like you" with iggy pop and got a bunch of stuff.

Did iggy pop have somethig to do with that song, or is there alot of people like fran out there who are discrediting this guy and his 15 minutes of fame for iggy?

Could anyone point me in the direction to make me shut down Fran?

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 05-11-2006
Author: rambunctious Reply
You're right Brian. 'Never Met A Girl Like You Before' (its proper title simply 'A Girl Like You') was written and recorded by Edwyn Collins back in 1994 - the following year it reached #4 in the UK, #32 in the US, and charted in many other countries too. There was no involvement by Iggy Pop, and far as I know Iggy has never recorded or covered it. I can only assume that because Collins' vocal sounds a bit like Iggy, maybe someone in WebLand assumed that's who it was. And voila - now it's become a Popular WebMyth. I'm sure Iggy himself wouldn't begrudge Edwyn his 15 minutes of fame..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 09-21-2006
Author: stan Reply
hey Iggy pop and the stooges cover this tune... and possibly iggy solo ....

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 09-22-2006
see previous post please Stan!.

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 10-24-2006
Author: zombie birdhouse Reply
i'm kind of diisapointed the song in question isnt the IG cause its a brilliant song, i too was fooled by this webmyth, but thanks for setting the record straight, so to speak..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 10-24-2006
Well we like to bust a few webmyths on this site. And yeah the song would suit Iggy right down to the ground. He really should cover it some time..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 11-23-2007
Author: informed Reply
Iggy Pop and David Bowie wrote and recorded "Girl Like You" in the 80s. It's on the album "the Idiot."
I can't believe this is even a debate. Collins covered Iggy down to a T and did nothing to change the song.
Try doing some research you sad imbeciles.

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 11-24-2007
Author: Tim Reply
Hey informed I just looked at that album on Amazon and it's not on there.
China Girl is though which was a huge hit for the mentioned David Bowie, I think you might want to do a little research as they are totally 2 different songs.

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 12-09-2007
Greetings from a sad imbecile. No I can't believe it's a debate either. Collins wrote and recorded it. Iggy and Bowie had nothing to do with it..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 02-21-2008
Author: Sparky_lass Reply
Would anyone be able to help me...I like the Iggy cover of the Collins song and was wondering if it is actually on an album or released as a single??

Ta.

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 02-24-2008
It wasn't actually recorded! It was in fact Collins..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 10-27-2008
Author: tori Reply
The song was a tribute to Igyy Pop. Iggy encountered and extraordinary girl after one of his concerts but never had the chance to see her again. Edwyn Collins was inspired by this event thus making him right the lyrics for the "A Girl Like You" ..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 10-27-2008
Author: Tori Reply
The song was a tribute to Igyy Pop. Iggy encountered and extraordinary girl after one of his concerts but never had the chance to see her again. Edwyn Collins was inspired by this event thus making him right the lyrics for the song "A Girl Like You"..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 03-21-2010
Author: GhiaGirl Reply
Okay. David Bowie recorded this song on his LP "Absolute Beginners". Apparently he co-wrote it with Iggy Pop. Edwin did a cover of the song. That's it. Go check it out. Lyrics are credited to David Bowie..

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 05-13-2010
Author: bengan Reply
Can't believe this webmyth is still
alive! There is no Bowie LP "Absolute
Beginners", Iggy's "The Idiot" has
several "girls" songs but not this one.
The sad truth is that Edwyn Collins
actually wrote this song, good for him,
even though it sounds like something
Iggy could have done.

Subject: RE: Never met a girl like you before? Date: 01-07-2015
Author: Brigitte Reply